The first Police Officer in Sylva was J.C. Fisher, in 1889, equipped with only a pistol handcuffs and badge, he rode a horse or walked through town
In the 1930’s the department was double, now having two Police Officers
For the first time in 1947 the Town board voted to buy a Police Car
At this point the Department was up to 5 officers and operated out of a 17 foot trailer, this trailer was used until 1960
Through the 60s and 70s the department continued to grow, up to 10 officers
The Police Department changed buildings several times as it out grew its locations. Finally arriving at the current location in 2012.